Quick summary of the Port, along with GenVec update:
On Friday, the Port had all 2000 ProGenics (PGNX) called away at $5, and the Elan calls expired worthless, allowing me to keep the premium and the shares. We're back to above 17% annualized return, still well shy of the 24 I am aiming for. I still feel it is doable, if I just put some time back into this Port. I have only been selling calls on 1 to 3 holdings a month, where I should be turning 100% of the holdings. I'll be selling the Genvec this coming week, since it does not offer options and I'm up over 10% already, having been in it for only a month. Time to take that profit and buy something I can sell calls against!
GenVec should be announcing the interim PACT trial results within 4 weeks now. On January 15th they said 10 to 12 weeks, and Friday 3/19/10 was exactly 9 weeks. While they may announce this coming week, both their annual earnings call and the recent Roth presentation suggested it could spill over into April so I would put more faith into it happening right around the first week of April.
In my real money IRA, I have an insane amount tied up in both Dendreon and Genvec - something like 85% of the total value. It has served me well, as the majority of Dendreon was bought under $6 (now $35) and my Genvec average basis is around $1.25 (now $2.80). I am however, finally at the point where I'll be selling at least a third of my GNVC over the next week or so, and may even dent my DNDN by 10% or so. I am far more confident that Dendreon will get approval, but at this price (mid 30s) I just do not see the return that I saw at the mid $20s we were at only a couple months ago. Genvec, at a little below $3, is also a MUCH different creature risk/return wise, than it was at the $0.77 I started buying at. The upcoming data release is a short term make-or-break event; it could go down (I honestly don't see it going below $1.50) on so-so data, but it could spike as much as another $7-10 on statistically significant data. There is a "reasonable" chance of stat-sig results - say 20-30% - but I am not risking 40+% of my net worth on a 20-30% chance of a home run. Please note that everyone's personal sense of risk vs. reward is vastly different - I AM in effect saying I'm okay with risking ~25% of my net worth!
This is because I already have a two bagger on Genvec - the most likely worse case scenario brings me back to a only slight average gain. I contrast this to the results, if excellent, and it makes sense for me to hold about 2/3 of what I have now, through the data release. For someone buying in now, it would be a greatly different risk/reward calculation.
Please also note that IF GenVec does drop, it very likely could be because the market is disappointed in the data not being excellent, and NOT because the data is bad. At the 92nd event - the first interim look) the hazard ratio was already .753 - the lower from 1.0 the better. This would have been a very good result, but investors were spooked because at 24 months, there was no apparent drug benefit. Missed was the fact that only three patients were still alive and uncensored, and one of those was in the placebo arm. Thus the placebo curve matched the drug-arm curve. As this interim look, at 184 deaths, most of those censored patients will have died, which will "normalize" the placebo curve and probably lower the hazard ratio even further. ANYTHING that relieves the worry about the 24 month death rate and shows improving hazard ratio beyond the .753 already seen, will vastly increase the chances of statistical significance at the final trial calculation. If the data is like this, but Mr. Market is disappointed, this could be the buy of a lifetime - with only a 18-24 month holding period until fruition. Heck - I went through this with Dendreon already from 2007 - 2009, and was rewarded with a $4 stock going to $25 (and currently $35, with a probable $40-45 in May).
Next post: more buy candidates, with the cash I now have in hand!
Regards,
Trond
Showing posts with label Progenics. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Progenics. Show all posts
Sunday, March 21, 2010
Tuesday, January 19, 2010
Port 24 and assorted biotech news
Port 24 update:
The only January options I had sold were 10 MELA $10 calls, and they were exercised, with the stock at $11.05 last Friday.
With that cash, I bought 300 more Dendreon shares today, and sold 3 Feb $32 calls against them for $0.89 per share.
I am living by my resolution to be a little more active in the Port! I also sold the following calls today:
16 ELN March $9s for $0.30
15 SGMO Feb $7.50s for $0.25
10 MELA Feb $12.50s for $0.20
2 AMAG Feb $55s for $0.50
I almost sold calls against ALTH - but I feel there is a little more room beneath the stock before selling calls. AOB needs to climb closer to $5 to make it worth selling calls, and NBIX at $2.50 is not satisfactory to sell the $2.50s, and the $5s are not worth anything yet.
The Port 24 thus has the following stocks (covered calls in parentheses)
1500 ALTH
200 AMAG (2)
2000 AOB
4900 ARNA (24)
700 DNDN (3)
1600 ELN (16)
1000 MELA (10)
2000 NBIX
2000 PGNX (20)
1000 RMTI (10)
2500 SGMO (15)
.. with cash of $2,680. This gives me a port value of about $132,500 and a 19.3% annualized return. I'm getting closer to my 24% return, again!
Stocks:
Genvec released a PR that they have licensed their hearing loss pre-clinical work to Novartis, for $5M plus milestones and royalties. They also hit the 184 death interim trigger in the PACT trial on Friday, and will have data in 10 to 12 weeks. I'm nearly as excited about Genvec as I was about Dendreon, but caution that the risk/reward is much slighter here at $2 than at $0.76 when I first mentioned it here a few months ago. I was still buying in my real-world IRA at $1.70, but am probably done for now.
Dendreon had an interview published in the Xconomy online magazine with the new COO Hans Bishop. It is a MUST READ, here: http://www.xconomy.com/seattle/2010/01/19/dendreons-new-operations-man-hans-bishop-aims-to-keep-provenge-trains-running-on-time/
Sangamo had good results (albeit from one patient, in a Phase I trial) here: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Sangamo-BioSciences-Announces-prnews-1693198508.html?x=0&.v=1
Regards,
Trond
The only January options I had sold were 10 MELA $10 calls, and they were exercised, with the stock at $11.05 last Friday.
With that cash, I bought 300 more Dendreon shares today, and sold 3 Feb $32 calls against them for $0.89 per share.
I am living by my resolution to be a little more active in the Port! I also sold the following calls today:
16 ELN March $9s for $0.30
15 SGMO Feb $7.50s for $0.25
10 MELA Feb $12.50s for $0.20
2 AMAG Feb $55s for $0.50
I almost sold calls against ALTH - but I feel there is a little more room beneath the stock before selling calls. AOB needs to climb closer to $5 to make it worth selling calls, and NBIX at $2.50 is not satisfactory to sell the $2.50s, and the $5s are not worth anything yet.
The Port 24 thus has the following stocks (covered calls in parentheses)
1500 ALTH
200 AMAG (2)
2000 AOB
4900 ARNA (24)
700 DNDN (3)
1600 ELN (16)
1000 MELA (10)
2000 NBIX
2000 PGNX (20)
1000 RMTI (10)
2500 SGMO (15)
.. with cash of $2,680. This gives me a port value of about $132,500 and a 19.3% annualized return. I'm getting closer to my 24% return, again!
Stocks:
Genvec released a PR that they have licensed their hearing loss pre-clinical work to Novartis, for $5M plus milestones and royalties. They also hit the 184 death interim trigger in the PACT trial on Friday, and will have data in 10 to 12 weeks. I'm nearly as excited about Genvec as I was about Dendreon, but caution that the risk/reward is much slighter here at $2 than at $0.76 when I first mentioned it here a few months ago. I was still buying in my real-world IRA at $1.70, but am probably done for now.
Dendreon had an interview published in the Xconomy online magazine with the new COO Hans Bishop. It is a MUST READ, here: http://www.xconomy.com/seattle/2010/01/19/dendreons-new-operations-man-hans-bishop-aims-to-keep-provenge-trains-running-on-time/
Sangamo had good results (albeit from one patient, in a Phase I trial) here: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Sangamo-BioSciences-Announces-prnews-1693198508.html?x=0&.v=1
Regards,
Trond
Labels:
Allos,
AMAG Pharma,
American Oriental,
Arena,
Covered calls,
Dendreon,
Elan,
Electro-Optical,
GenVec,
Neurocrine,
Port24,
Progenics,
Rockwell Medical,
Sangamo
Wednesday, December 30, 2009
Happy New Year
Thanks to all who read this - I have not been good about keeping up posting, or even the Port 24. I shall strive to do better in the new year, as I want to bring my returns back up to the 24% level.
I am closing out the year with a few calls being sold in the Port. 24 Arena Feb $4s, 10 Electro-Optical Jan $10s, and 20 Progenics Feb $5s ... all with a monthly return of about 4%.
I will be ending 2009 with an annualized rate of return of about 13% - good, but far short of my target. I do take comfort in the fact that I ignored the Port for long stretches of time and would have made a few more percentage points on the calls I neglected to sell.
My worst move this year was to not sell ARNA on the spikes. That cost me around $20,000. Of course I would not have sold at exactly the high point, but I really should have lightened up. On the plus side, I did exactly that with BioCryst - buying low, selling high, and selling a lot of calls in the interim. Dendreon was the clear winner this year - going from around $5 to the current $26.
Next year should see Dendreon achieve FDA approval for Provenge, Electro-Optical gain approval for MelaFund, partnerships for Arena and Neurocrine, and significant appreciation for Elan, Amag, and Allos. I find myself hoping that GenVec starts trading options as I would love to have some GNVC in the Port.
May everyone have a fun and safe New Year!
Regards,
Trond
I am closing out the year with a few calls being sold in the Port. 24 Arena Feb $4s, 10 Electro-Optical Jan $10s, and 20 Progenics Feb $5s ... all with a monthly return of about 4%.
I will be ending 2009 with an annualized rate of return of about 13% - good, but far short of my target. I do take comfort in the fact that I ignored the Port for long stretches of time and would have made a few more percentage points on the calls I neglected to sell.
My worst move this year was to not sell ARNA on the spikes. That cost me around $20,000. Of course I would not have sold at exactly the high point, but I really should have lightened up. On the plus side, I did exactly that with BioCryst - buying low, selling high, and selling a lot of calls in the interim. Dendreon was the clear winner this year - going from around $5 to the current $26.
Next year should see Dendreon achieve FDA approval for Provenge, Electro-Optical gain approval for MelaFund, partnerships for Arena and Neurocrine, and significant appreciation for Elan, Amag, and Allos. I find myself hoping that GenVec starts trading options as I would love to have some GNVC in the Port.
May everyone have a fun and safe New Year!
Regards,
Trond
Labels:
Allos,
AMAG Pharma,
Arena,
BioCryst,
Dendreon,
Elan,
Electro-Optical,
GenVec,
Neurocrine,
Port24,
Progenics
Thursday, October 22, 2009
Port 24 update and real-world trades
Well I did not get a chance to post yesterday but I made some changes in the Port.
I sold the last 400 BCRX, bought 2000 PGNX and 1500 ALTH, and sold 10 MELA calls (Nov $10s, for $0.40).
BioCryst is close to either getting an Emergency Use Approval or not. I would miss the price spike, but I also will miss the cratering if it does not get it. This Port is not for extreme trading -- I will definitely focus on biotechs (simply because that is what I follow for the most part) but the covered call strategy works perfectly by buying into biotechs, selling calls against the premium generated by trial or approval hype, and then selling BEFORE the actual date.
In my real-world IRA, I have been buying NBIX ($2.74), PZG ($1.27) and MNKD ($5.13). All of these are, in my estimation, good for a double or more in the next 12 months.
The Port stands as follows:
2000 AOB
2000 NBIX
1600 ELN
400 DNDN
4900 ARNA
2500 SGMO
2000 MELA (10)
2000 PGNX
200 AMAG
1500 ALTH
Cash: $5,231.55
Regards,
Trond
I sold the last 400 BCRX, bought 2000 PGNX and 1500 ALTH, and sold 10 MELA calls (Nov $10s, for $0.40).
BioCryst is close to either getting an Emergency Use Approval or not. I would miss the price spike, but I also will miss the cratering if it does not get it. This Port is not for extreme trading -- I will definitely focus on biotechs (simply because that is what I follow for the most part) but the covered call strategy works perfectly by buying into biotechs, selling calls against the premium generated by trial or approval hype, and then selling BEFORE the actual date.
In my real-world IRA, I have been buying NBIX ($2.74), PZG ($1.27) and MNKD ($5.13). All of these are, in my estimation, good for a double or more in the next 12 months.
The Port stands as follows:
2000 AOB
2000 NBIX
1600 ELN
400 DNDN
4900 ARNA
2500 SGMO
2000 MELA (10)
2000 PGNX
200 AMAG
1500 ALTH
Cash: $5,231.55
Regards,
Trond
Labels:
Allos,
BioCryst,
Covered calls,
MannKind,
Neurocrine,
Paramount Gold,
Port24,
Progenics
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)