Tuesday, November 8, 2011

MarketWatch contest - round 2 article

MarketWatch is running a contest to find its "Next Great Investing Columnist." I've entered, and my first column made it through the initial round, thanks to social media voting placing me in the top 25.

Now it gets interesting - as they are technically running two contests. There is an "Editors' Pick" winner (who actually wins the gig writing a column) and a "Readers' Pick" (based still on social media voting). The editors picked one additional writer to put through, so there are 26 remaining contestants. This round, 6 total writers will make it through - three Readers' Picks and three Editors' Picks.
I'm pretty much in need of being an Editors' Pick this time, as the top three vote getters in the first round all got more than 300 votes ("likes" on Facebook) and mine, while respectable in the field, drew only 148 votes.

I really don't mean to bag on the actual contest, but allowing the social media voting is a bit of a farce. The lead contestant got over 800 votes, more than twice as many as the second place vote... and the article is in broken English and extremely hard to follow. I guess I need more friends on Facebook. *grin*

I am asking the gentle readers here to visit the column, nevertheless. Any "likes" are certainly welcome, but I would actually appreciate comments in this round. I think the editors are more likely to place some credence on comments this time around!

My second article can be read here:
http://blogs.marketwatch.com/great-columnist/2011/11/07/dont-settle-for-average/

My thanks to all!

Regards,
Trond

1 comment:

Ming said...

Just and FYI, We voted for your article.