Thursday, April 23, 2015

TED talk: Violence --> Poverty


I challenge EVERYONE to watch the 1 1/2 minutes from 10:57 to 12:27.

So I love to watch TED talks but my typical stance is, "Wait, this is 20ish minutes, I just can't spend that time when I don't know if this is WORTH it."

I'll summarize this, so you you can still be ejumacated without having to watch - although this one is worth the 22 minutes.
Poverty is created by, and sustained through violence, in cultures where the concept of law enforcement is spotty. And our own is NOT immune. See the challenge above.

Two impactful quotes:
"Most poor people live outside the protection of the law."
"People don't know how to fix the problem, so they don't talk about the problem."

http://www.ted.com/talks/gary_haugen_the_hidden_reason_for_poverty_the_world_needs_to_address_now#t-609414

No comments: