Saturday, April 16, 2011

Port 24 update

April options expiration came Friday and for the first time in three years my Port24 is without some Dendreon.

DNDN had a great run in the last month - moving from $32 to $42 - and my gamble that it wouldn't break $40 was a bad one. I will probably hold on to the cash for a few days to assess what I want to do. I really am not comfortable with the overall market but there are always places to put money to work.

PZG had a bad week - the first resource report came out and I feel was badly prepared-for by the company. I still look forward to a very good year for Paramount but it may be a couple months of sitting and waiting.

The Port's return is about 18% annualized, as of 4/15. In one month, it turns 3 years old! So I am lagging my desired return of 24% a year quite badly - by 6%! In my defense, for newer readers, I have made two stupid mistakes: 1) with Elan in not taking enormous profits when I could have, and 2) in neglecting the Port for about 9 of the 35 months I've been running it. Those nine months of "lost" covered call returns very well could have made up that 6%.

Even with the mistakes, I will concede that 18% is pretty good. And better, in comparison to the S&P 500 (SPY) and the Nasdaq (QQQQ), I am handily beating the market in the same period. The SPY has returned -0.6% in the 35 month period while the QQQQ's are at 5.7% annualized. So I'm still beating the better of the two by 12.4% per year. That is respectable.

Cash $19,372.85 Position (calls against)
2600 CLDX (26)
2000 NBIX (20)
7000 NNVC (0)
7000 ONTY (70)
1600 DCTH (16)
3600 PZG (0)
9000 CLSN (0)
2000 MITI (0)
800 SGEN (8)

Regards,
Trond

No comments: