Wednesday, May 14, 2008

24% returns

The long term stock market average return is around 12% annually. Warren Buffett has returned around 22% since 1966. What am I thinking I can do?

24%, baby. That’s my target.

Now, I have one huge advantage. I will be assuming that my trading will be taking place in an IRA, so I do not have tax considerations to worry about.
However, I will still take commissions into account, and NOT enter any trades which would violate IRS wash rules. Thus, for a very rough taxable account comparison, take my returns and knock off a third.

My fictitious account will be assumed to be held at Scottrade. They offer no-fee IRAs; no annual fee, no inactivity fee, no minimum balance fees, etc. Their commissions are $7 for stock and $7+$1.25/contract for option trades, with a $17 exercise fee.
Although you can consider this a plug for Scottrade (I do have a real life IRA there and have had no issues with their customer service or handling) I have transferred a brokerage account to Zecco instead – still no fees but the commission schedule is much more aggressive – including 10 free stocks trades a month! So – do your own research but PLEASE take fees and transaction costs seriously in your own life.

Back to 24%. Where do I get off claiming that is doable?
First, let’s look at what it gets me. With a 24% return, every 39 months my balance doubles. If I start with $100,000 then it will take just under 11 years to get me to $1 million. Now, I don’t think you can plan on retiring on a million anymore – we’re living longer and medical breakthroughs are occurring faster – so I’d say you have to plan on at living to at least 100 these days. With inflation at 3% (and I’d argue its higher than that) the cost of living will double every 24 years. But $1M is a nice round target to shoot for.

Nice, Trond. But HOW??
Options – covered calls, to be precise. I noticed a few years ago that the premium of slightly out-of the money covered calls tends to be anywhere from 1 to 3% per month. Now, most stocks I own are only in multiples of $1, 2, or 3 thousand dollars. A 2% return on $1000 is a measly $20. But if you do the math it adds up mighty quickly. The biggest obstacle is if you pick a stock and it tanks immediately after buying – you have the choice of selling lower strike options and probably selling at a lower price, or selling the higher strike further out and accepting a much lower yield.

I will be aiming to return about 2% a month -- technically, at 1.809% a month, I would hit my 24% annual returns on the dot – but I like round numbers. I will start with $100,000 and post my trades immediately after deciding on them – I will log onto my brokerage account and use the current ask price for the stocks and the current bid price for the covered call.
Let the games begin!

Regards,
Trond

No comments: