Friday, May 23, 2008

Portfolio 24 additions

For the next few days I'll be adding a bunch of positions to the Port 24 -- so if you are reading this and don't care about the Port... my apologies in advance! To hit my target of 2% a month, I need to be nearly fully invested and thus the continuous updates.

I want to remind you that I AM tracking commissions behind the scenes -- if anyone wants to see exact numbers please comment or email and I will be happy to provide them. What I am doing is logging on to my brokerage account, getting the ask price on my stock, and then going to the option and getting the bid price. I am not doing enough activity to really move the market, but obviously my real world results may be off by a cent here or there. The nice thing about the real world is that I am more patient -- I actually enter a market price on the stock to assure myself of getting it and then add a limit buy at the next higher 5 or 10 cent increment and just wait for it to be eventually filled during normal daily price fluctuations. That can add another .5 to 1% returns just by being patient!

I just added:
1200 TASR at $7.20 and -12 QURFU (Jun08 $7.5) at $.30
2000 ARNA at $4.95 and -20 UGGFA (Jun08 $5) at $.25

I like Taser as a covered call stock because it is so volatile. I like the product itself and the continuous lawsuits against the company does not scare me. You just need to be patient with this one! We're on a recent dip so it's a perfect time to buy.
Arena has an obesity drug that it is probably going to be partnering soon (read -- a couple months more). Partnerships are where young biotechs can hit the motherlode -- cash up front, milestone payments, royalties, etc.

We're at:
2000 SUPG
2000 NBIX
400 ELN
2000 DNDN
1200 TASR
2000 ARNA
Cash: $48,566, and stocks worth approx $53,008, for a total of $101,574 after less than a month. Most of the stocks are underwater right now.

Regards,
Trond

No comments: