Saturday, October 17, 2009

Port 24 update

Options expiration was yesterday and I was only exercised on 600 Dendreon shares. Elan, Sangamo, American Oriental, Arena, and Electro-Optical calls all expired with the premium as 100% profit.

Dendreon was a little disappointing, as I hate to see any shares of this company go, even in a ficticious portfolio. I had sold the $35s at $0.84, and then bought them back at a profit ($0.20), and then sold the $28s. It closed at $29.51 and so they were called away from me; I now have only 400 shares left (just under 10% of the Port).

I have to say I am a little surprised at Dendreon's strength. The addition of two new Board members (one, Ian Clark, the upcoming CEO of Genentech North America) certainly fueled speculation about the Rest-Of-World partner for Provenge being Genentech.

For me, the only real news of interest coming up is the amended BLA scheduled for mid-November. And the aBLA itself really is not newsworthy as they announced it a month ago. But - the sensitivity analysis should be included and hopefully made public. This sensitivity analysis is important to me because it will show the continued strength of Provenge over time. In April, the final results of the IMPACT trial showed a statistically significant reduction of risk of death of 22.5% over the placebo group. This 8+ month (results were released in April but the results were based off data cut off in January) should show an improving hazard ratio over and above the 22.5% aleready seen. I would like to see 26%+.

Elan will be having their quarterly earnings call on 10/21, but will be upstaged slightly on the 20th when Biogen releases Tysabri numbers for Q3. I expect to see continuing, although not blowout, growth in the patient count. However, I also expect Elan to announce they will swing to profitability in either Q4 or Q1 2010. We should see real growth in revenue from the EDT branch, and unfortunately we probably will not hear any real news of the Alzheimers platform on this call.

In my real money IRA, I have been buying GenVec (GNVC) and MannKind (MKND) for the first time and more Elan (ELN) and Sangamo (SGMO). I am very excited for GNVC but the move started earlier than I thought it would: I started buying at $0.76 per share and it already touched $1 this last week.

I'll be adding a couple watchlist stocks, mentioning now only that Allos (ALTH), AMAG Pharma (AMAG), and MannKind (MKND) should deliver 50-100% returns in the next 12-24 months.

Regards,
Trond

No comments: