Friday, September 25, 2009

Various stocks and two Port24 trades

One of the nice things about selling covered calls is that when a stock goes down, you can buy back the calls you sold, at a profit.

That is exactly what I did today for the Port; I had sold 6 Oct $35 DNDN contracts for $84 each and bought them back today for $20 each -- $350 profit after commissions.
Then I turned around and sold 6 Oct $28s for $100 each.

Do not get me wrong, Dendreon is still a stock I want to own. But I do not believe it will be above $28 in the middle of October. They announced yesterday that the amended BLA will not be filed until the middle of November, and so I just don't see any real gains through then. If we see a spike downwards, I very well may simply buy these back too...

I also bought (for the Port) 2000 AOB at $4.83 and sold the Oct $5s for $20 each. [disclosure: I also did this today in my real IRA with 1000 shares...]

I did well in selling ALTH - they did get approval, as I thought, but revenue and profits are going to be a few months away and so the market did not treat Allos very well today. As a 6 month stock, I think buying today would be a good thing, but it is not quite right for the Port today.

ARNA is also a screaming buy today. Note it could well drop some more in the next week but at $4.60 a share there is too much upside to ignore it. I have a sizeable stake in the Port already, so will not be buying, but it could make readers very happy one month (Obesity conference at the end of October) and one year (FDA approval) out.

Regards,
Trond

1 comment:

Pete said...

I'm a DNDN convert. I'm in for 900 shares at $27.25. I'll make it a tidy 1000 shares at some point (a decrease in share price would be nice). The risk of non-approval or some complete fiasco around ramping up production strikes me as low. I plan to sell half as soon as the share price spikes over $50 for the first time next fall. The other half I will hang on to until it hits 100.